Sustainability Business Forum AmeriCorps VISTA
Hawai‘i Green Growth is a public private partnership committed to advancing economic, social and environmental goals, and a recognized United Nations Local2030 Hub that scales local sustainability solutions to global challenges. Hawai‘i Green Growth formed in response to the 2011 Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit to identify green growth priorities and advance a green economy within an island context.
The Aloha+ Challenge: He Nohona ‘Ae‘oia is a statewide commitment to achieve Hawai‘i’s sustainability goals, and serves as a local framework to implement the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. The Aloha+ Challenge was launched in 2014 by HGG public and private sector partners with leadership from the State, Counties, Office of Hawaiian Affairs, and State Legislature. The Aloha+ Challenge enjoys unprecedented political support to achieve time-bound sustainability goals and indicators, which are measured through an open-data impact Dashboard. HGG works with public and private partners on joint policies, initiatives, and communications that advance Hawai‘i’s Aloha+ Challenge goals. The Aloha+ Challenge Dashboard is an online open-data platform to track progress, provide accountability and ensure transparency on Hawai‘i’s economic, social, and environmental priorities.
This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position offered through the Aloha+ Challenge VISTA Program to address poverty and increase economic, social, and environmental resiliency across Hawai‘i. Learn more about AmeriCorps VISTA at: www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista.
This is a full-time position that will support Hawai‘i Green Growth in network building, partner engagement, and driving progress on shared goals for the Sustainability Business Forum (SBF) and its working groups. The SBF is a voluntary CEO-led peer-to-peer initiative that supports candid dialogue and concrete action to achieve Hawai‘i’s Aloha+ Challenge and the global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) grounded in island values. 26 diverse businesses are represented in the SBF, including airlines, financial institutions, tourism operators, and agriculture operations, among others. Collectively, SBF members represent over $9 billion in revenue and more than 2,000 employees. These businesses have committed to driving action towards achieving the Aloha+ Challenge and holding their businesses accountable on the Aloha+ Dashboard. The Aloha+ Dashboard is an open data platform that tracks locally and culturally appropriate metrics to measure Hawaiʻi’s progress on its statewide 2030 goals on climate change, education, economy, energy, food, waste, natural resources, and community resilience.
The Sustainability Business Forum AmeriCorps VISTA position is structured to provide significant work experience in the areas of sustainable development, policy, communications, and data through hands-on experiential learning. This position will have the opportunity to take on meaningful responsibility quickly, and engage with a diverse network of local, national and international partners.
This position will work extensively with a wide range of business, government, academic, philanthropic, and community partners who work to advance social, economic, and environmental priorities across Hawaiʻi and is therefore ideally suited for applicants seeking to gain professional experience in these sectors. HGG is committed to the mentorship and professional development of each team member, including the VISTA cohort.
Eligibility for the AmeriCorps VISTA Program:
In order to be considered for hire, one must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Available full time (40 hours/week)
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
AmeriCorps Compensation and Benefits Package:
- Living allowance (approx. $29,043 annually)
- Segel Education Award ($6,495) or cash stipend ($1,800)
- Relocation Travel Allowance and Settling In Allowance
- AmeriCorps VISTA Healthcare Benefits Program
- Child Care Benefits
- Professional Development Training Full details available at https://www.vistacampus.gov/members/benefits-of-service
It is preferred that the applicant has the following:
- Strong attention to detail, organization, planning skills and personal accountability
- Interest in a collaborative and integrated approach to sustainability that supports environmental, social and economic prosperity
- Experience with private-sector sustainability initiatives and/or environmental, social and governance metrics (ESG).
- Experience with data management, data visualization and Esri technology.
- Familiarity with Hawai‘i’s geography and communities, as well as a respect for Hawaiian language, culture and traditions
- Relevant education and/or work experience
- Flexible in supporting other duties as assigned.
This year-long position is based in an office setting in Honolulu, Hawai‘i.
1. Partnership Coordination: Support coordination, administration and communication for the Sustainability Business Forum
- Correspond with partners regarding joint priorities, initiatives, and meetings
- Schedule partner and stakeholder meetings
- Support relevant writing, reporting, and research
- Support development of new initiatives and special projects to benefit low-income communities
2. Meetings & Event Planning: Coordination, preparation, and follow-up for partnership meetings and strategic events (e.g. meetings, network events, conferences).
- Schedule and coordinate meetings, including logistics, invitations, and RSVPs
- Prepare materials, including presentations, meeting summaries, and other documents
- Attend and provide support at meetings
- Assist with timely follow-up and action items
3. Communications & Outreach:
- Support website updates, maintenance, and content development
- Coordinate and update communications materials, photos, and relevant databases
- Work with team on media and communications around relevant events and initiatives
- Support initiatives with social media, as needed and time permits
4. Project Operations & Legacy:
- Develop project initiatives for the SBF’s priorities in energy efficiency, local food, and/or environmental, social and governance (ESG) metrics.
- Update and maintain SBF member ESG reporting on the Aloha+ Dashboard.
- Maintain key master documents, organizational systems and support monthly administration.
- Build relevant tools and resources to support the SBF’s capacity.
- Support grant writing, project reports, and compilation of results.
5. Other Duties as Assigned