Dashboard Data & Research VISTA
Hawai‘i Green Growth is a Local2030 hub that scales and accelerates local solutions to global challenges in partnership with the United Nations. Hawai‘i Green Growth formed in response to the 2011 Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) to identify green growth priorities and advance a green economy within an island context.
The Aloha+ Challenge: He Nohona ‘Ae‘oia is a statewide commitment to achieve Hawai‘i’s sustainability goals, and serves as a local framework to implement the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. The Aloha+ Challenge was launched in 2014 by HGG public and private sector partners with leadership from the State, Counties, Office of Hawaiian Affairs, and State Legislature. The Aloha+ Challenge enjoys unprecedented political support to achieve time-bound sustainability goals and indicators, which are measured through an open data impact Dashboard. HGG works with public and private partners on joint policies, initiatives, and communications that advance Hawai‘i’s Aloha+ Challenge goals. The Aloha+ Challenge Dashboard is an online open-data platform to track progress, provide accountability, and ensure transparency on Hawai‘i’s economic, social, and environmental priorities.
The Aloha+ Challenge Dashboard is an online open-data platform to track progress, provide accountability and ensure transparency on Hawai‘i’s economic, social, and environmental priorities. The Dashboard was developed through a multi-year process by HGG that engaged hundreds of diverse public, private, and community stakeholders in partnership with the state and four counties to identify agreed statewide indicators. The Dashboard (https://alohachallenge.hawaii.gov/) is designed for decision-makers, practitioners, and the public to inform policy, data-driven decision making, and inspire action on local and global sustainability goals.
This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position offered through the Aloha+ Challenge VISTA Program to address poverty and increase economic, social, and environmental resiliency across Hawai‘i. Learn more about AmeriCorps VISTA at: www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista.
The Aloha+ Dashboard measures Hawai‘i’s progress on U.N. Sustainable Development Goal 1: No Poverty and other socio-economic indicators, and the 2020 Aloha+ Dashboard annual report released showed that 42% of residents are struggling to meet basic. However, further data, metrics, research and tools to track socio-economic indicators are needed to track this on the Hawai‘i’s Dashboard.
This is a full-time position that will support the Hawai‘i Green Growth partnership’s work on the Aloha+ Challenge Dashboard through conducting research, identifying available data sets, updating data visualizations, and developing new systems that can be used long-term to measure Hawai‘i’s progress on the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals through the Aloha+ Dashboard.
The Data & Research VISTA position is structured to provide significant capacity in the areas of sustainable development, data management, innovation, and research through hands-on experiential learning. This position will have the opportunity to take on meaningful responsibility quickly, and engage with a diverse network of local, national and international partners.
This position will work extensively with a wide range of government, business, academic, philanthropic, and community partners who work to advance social, economic, and environmental priorities across Hawaiʻi and is therefore ideally suited for applicants seeking to gain professional experience in these sectors. HGG is committed to the mentorship and professional development of each team member, including the cohort of 6 VISTA positions.
Eligibility for the AmeriCorps VISTA Program:
In order to be considered for hire, one must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Available full time (40 hours/week)
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
AmeriCorps Compensation and Benefits Package:
- Living allowance (approx. $24,053 annually)
- Segel Education Award ($6,195) or cash stipend ($1,800)
- Relocation Travel Allowance and Settling In Allowance
- AmeriCorps VISTA Healthcare Benefits Program
- Child Care Benefits
- Professional Development Training Full details available at https://www.vistacampus.gov/members/benefits-of-service
It is preferred that the applicant has the following:
- Strong attention to detail, organization, planning skills and personal accountability
- Interest in a collaborative and integrated approach to sustainability that supports environmental, social and economic prosperity
- Familiarity with Hawai‘i’s geography and communities, as well as a respect for Hawaiian language, culture and traditions
- Relevant education and/or work experience
- Flexible in supporting other duties as assigned
This year-long position is based in Honolulu, Hawai‘i.
1. Dashboard Development & Innovation: This position will support coordination with diverse partners to increase student and community engagement on the Dashboard. This includes the following responsibilities:
- Support coordination on Dashboard content for the Aloha+ Challenge sustainability goals, targets and indicators, including data analysis, contextual narrative, research, and stakeholder engagement
- Assist with on-going Dashboard data and content updates
- Provide support for research and technology initiatives including data visualization and modeling, web applications, and interactive capabilities
- Support accessibility and usability of the Dashboard through providing community resources, engagement tools, and outreach for community data capture
- Support Dashboard-related projects through stakeholder engagement and coordination
2. Research: This position will support the development of the Aloha+ Dashboard, building on available local data and global sustainability Dashboards.
- Conduct research on local and global sustainability Dashboards to identify best practices for data visualization
- Identify and support development of new data sets and socio-economic indicators to enhance Dashboard data tracking
- Provide relevant research, outreach, and content creation
3. Project Operations & Legacy:
- Maintain key master documents, organizational systems and support monthly administration
- Build relevant tools and resources to support project operations
- Assist with project grant writing, project reports, and compilation of results
- Support related media, video, website, and social media projects, as needed and time permits
4. Other duties as assigned